I have been paralyzed over the past few days (notice the lack of posts?) so I understand why some bloggers choose to be “award free.” But I am honored to have been nominated for the Liebster Award by Jill Pallack at jillypopmusic. Thank you.
I’ve actually been nominated twice before and have yet to respond because it’s so darn hard to know whether or not the bloggers I want to nominate have too many followers, or have already been nominated or might be an award free zone. ARRGHHH. . . the paralysis is killing me! But I appreciate that someone has read enough of my posts to nominate me and I fully intend to reply to all three sets of questions and POST the AWARD image (as soon as I figure out how to do that.)
So here’s the deal – I’m going to respond in the opposite order of how I received the nominations, meaning most recent first. I’ll save the nominees for my last post. So here are my answers to Jill’s questions:
- What got you started with your blog?
Initially, I began blogging as a way to share my genealogy finds and to capture the stories of my ancestors and specifically, my husband’s Italian immigrant ancestors. I was also trying to fashion my life – post kids – i.e. empty nest. Before I began blogging I spent an inordinate amount of time and energy worrying about things over which I had no control. What a wonderful change. I am in complete control of my blogs. Blogging provides the creative outlet I’d been searching for. I’ve been happier since I started blogging and I look forward to the day when I can devote even more of my time and attention to it.
- Please link to your favorite post you have written and why is it your favorite?
No fair! That’s like asking which of your children is your favorite. Here’s one from Writing 101 in September The Leap
- What is your favorite color?
Blue – always has been, always will be except for a brief love affair with taupe. (Yeah – I know – that’s weird.) There are so many shades and hues of blue that make it such a fun choice but there’s nothing like the color of the sky on a clear, crisp fall day.
- If a movie were to be played about your life, who would play you?
I am terrible at remembering actors and actresses names and rarely go to the movies so I’m gonna reach deep into my memory vault and chose a favorite childhood actress – Julie Andrews. It’s actually not a bad choice.
- Where would you like to travel that you haven’t traveled to yet? Easy answer – Abruzzo, Italy where my husband’s Italian ancestors came from. Specifically San Vieto Chietino on the eastern coast and Castel di Sangro – in the mountains just inland from there. Even though I wrote this answer several days ago – it is especially timely since I got a message today from someone in Italy who read my other blog who may be able to put us in touch with some of my husband’s Italian cousins – in fact – he may be one!
- What was your favorite book or movie as a child? I liked Mary Poppins starring none other than – Julie Andrews! I remember standing in line before the movie with my father. He pointed to a word on the movie poster and asked if I could pronounce it. The word was supercalifragilisticexpialdocious and of course I couldn’t. I remember Daddy saying “don’t worry, you’ll be able to say it by the time we leave the movie.” He was right!
- What is your favorite season and why? Spring – I love the many shades of green as leaves burst forth and the soft feel of the air on an early spring day. I am always glad when the bare branches of winter give way to the promise of summer. March is my least favorite month because I am so tired of winter by the time March rolls around.
- What is your astrological sign and do you feel it describes your personality? Libra – and YES – I am all about balance and fairness. It’s been quite awhile since I read my horoscope so I thought I should check just to be sure. This list pretty much sums me up.
Strengths: Cooperative,diplomatic, gracious, fair-minded, social
Weaknesses: Indecisive, avoids confrontations, will carry a grudge, self-pity
Libra likes: Harmony, gentleness, sharing with others, the outdoors
Libra dislikes: Violence, injustice, loudmouths, conformity
- Do you have a bucket list? What is number 1?
I don’t – but if I did – going to Abruzzo Italy would be #1.
- If you like to exercise what’s your favorite type of exercise?
So if I don’t like to exercise does that mean I don’t have to answer this one? Although I don’t do it as much as I would like to, hiking is my favorite exercise.
- What’s your dream job?
It turns out I have my dream job but I had to survive a few nightmares before I found it. I am a lawyer – which is certainly not a key to happiness but it does provide a lot of flexibility. For the past 15 years I’ve worked for a nonprofit conservation organization in North Carolina, helping landowners who want to preserve their land so that future generations can enjoy natural areas that are rapidly being lost to development. It’s about as close as it comes to “saving the world” one property at a time!
I’ll save the nominations of other bloggers until I complete my responses to all three nominations.